Preliminary data on crime rates for 2011 has been released by the FBI based on information voluntarily reported by law enforcement. On the whole, the FBI reported a four percent decrease in violent crimes from 2010. Specifically,
- Property crimes decreased 0.8 percent.
- Arson rates decreased 5 percent.
- Murder rates fell 1.9 percent.
- There were 4.0 percent fewer rape, robbery, and aggravated assaults than last year.
- Motor vehicle theft took the biggest drop in property crimes, of 3.3 percent.
- The only property crime increase was in burglary, slightly up .03 percent overall.
This chart released along with the newest figures shows a continuing decrease in crime rates since 2007, although the rate of decrease has slowed in more recent years.